So, you know those meals that aren’t exactly a showstopper, but taste amazing? This is definitely one of those dishes. It really doesn’t look very pretty, or maybe even appealing, but man oh man, it tastes soo good. And, it makes the house smell amazing. The red lentils become creamy, perfectly spiced, and just downright delicious. I love to serve it over cooked white rice.
I have been trying to find recipes to use my fresh garden tomatoes that seem to just keep coming. (I am not complaining!) This was a perfect way to incorporate many small ones. This dish is a great, healthy, and quick meal for those busy weeknights. And, it makes killer leftovers. Win win!
Spiced Red Lentils with Rice
Yield: About 8-10 servings
For the spice mixture
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you like spicy, use more)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
For the lentils
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (or grapeseed, or canola oil)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 12 ounces tomatoes, chopped (I used a combination of small romas and cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- salt and pepper
- cooked white rice
In a small bowl, mix together the spice mixture. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Stir in the spice mixture and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Mix in the onion and cook until softened, 5-8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in the water and lentils and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer until the lentils are tender and resemble a thick purée, 20-25 minutes.
Off the heat, stir in the tomatoes, parsley, tomatoes, butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir gently until combined. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve over rice.
Source: Adapted from The America’s Test Kitchen, Healthy Family Cookbook